Tag Archives: bokoharam

Boko Haram Capture Gwoza Town, Borno State, Kill About 100

Heavily-armed fighters, suspected to be the members of the Islamist Boko Haram sect, launched an assault on Gwoza town, Borno State, in the early hours of August 6, 2014, Wednesday.

According to the sources of SaharaReporters, the operation has been completed successfully, as the terrorists were able to capture the settlement, killing around 100 of its residents in the process. Many aged people, women and children were among the victims.

map work
map work

An unnamed resident of Gwoza, while speaking in Kanuri with a reporter, informed that he was able to escape the besieged town safely.

“Soldiers guarding us just went away as the militants advanced against our town.

“If this continues, then all of us will soon be without a place to call home,” he said.

The survivor confirmed that those who escaped the Boko Haram attack have now turned into refugees.

The troops of the Nigerian Army were reportedly overpowered by the properly-armed insurgents.

It is not the first time Boko Haram make Nigerian Army abandon a town. On July 18, Friday, a large group of fighters attacked Damboa town, killing several residents and forcing the army to retreat. Boko Haram hoisted their black and white flags to mark their control of the area.

Advertisements

Boko Haram Release New Video Showing Chibok Girls

Boko Haram reportedly on Monday released another video allegedly showing the abducted Chibok girls held in captivity by terrorists for more than 2 months.

image

Photo: Abubakar Shekau

According to The Paradigm, in the new video the group leader Abubakar Shekau speaking in Hausa also claimed responsibility for May 7 attack on Bama, which killed 55, and for April 16 raid on Baga town, which took at least 187 lives:

“We are the ones that carried out the Bama attack… We have abducted women and children in response to the arrest of our members’ wives and children.”

Daily Independent reports that the insurgents have rejected an amnesty offered by the government to end the violence.

Related: President Jonathan To Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram Insurgents
Although Shekau in the video didn’t mention the names of relatives seized by military, the insurgents have repeatedly accused Nigerian security of arresting their wives and children.

Related: Govt May Swap Insurgent’s Wives And Children For Abducted Girls
It would be recalled that the April 5-hour gunbattle in Baga town resulted in deaths of not only prisoners (105), but also scores of soldiers, police officers and 4 civilians. As the rights groups accused the security of retaliating with excessive force, killing many and destroying buildings in the area, the government denied the allegation.

Chibok Tragedy

More than 250 schools were kidnapped by Boko Haram in the night raid of April 14. In the previously released videos Shekau claimed responsibility for the abduction and showed the girls, saying they had been converted to Islam.

Related: New Boko Haram Video: “I Never Expected To Suffer Like This” – Chibok Girls Beg For Release

As the condition, he allegedly suggested to swap some of the girls for the sect prisoners. While the government’s first reaction was said to be rejection, it was further reported that the negotiations had started. However, later it was provided that the government had cancelled the “swap” deal shortly before it was to take place.

Sources: Naij.com news, The Paradigm, Daily Independent

Boko Haram Abducts 91 Persons From Seven Villages In Borno

Members of the radical Islamist sect- Boko Haram has abducted 91 persons from seven villages in Borno State, vanguard reports.

According to a local vigilante official, who made this known on Monday night, said the sect members also killed four people who tried to escape, adding that the victims were kidnapped between Thursday and Sunday from Kumanza, Yaga and Dagu, Damboa and Dagu, Damboa and Askira Uba Local Government Areas of the state.

image

Man claiming to be leader of Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, in video screengrab, unknown location, Sept. 25, 2013.

The Chairman, Sector 5 of the local vigilante group, Aji Khalil, who spoke on telephone said: “More than 60 women were among the villagers abducted by Boko Haram terrorists”.

“Some suspected Boko Haram members invaded Kumanza, Yaga and Dagu villages and kidnapped 91 persons. More than 60 married women and young girls as well as children and young men were forcefully taken away by Boko Haram terrorits. Four villagers, who tried to escape were shot dead on the spot”, Khalil said.

Another source, who spoke on condition of anonymity said: ”They went from one village to the other, killed about 30 people and took away many children and women.”

According to him, hundreds of villagers around the area have fled the villages to Lassa to take refuge.

It was gathered that news of the attacks did not get to Maiduguri on time as the villages are about 100 kilometres away from the state capital.

Meanwhile,  as at press time, no official confirmation could be gotten from the state police or military. The chairman of Damboa Local Government, Alamin Mohammed, could not be reached on his mobile phone, but when the council secretary, Modu Mustapha was contacted, he said he was not authorized to speak on the matter.

It was further gathered from a source that four suspected sect members were apprehended by residents in Lassa, few kilometres from Kummabza, Gurdlagwal, Yafa and Yaza villages which had been previously attacked. He said that the suspects were caught while buying large quantities of foodstuffs at Lassa market, on Monday, adding that it was the quantity of the items that aroused the suspicion of traders and other people at the market.

“People suspected the four men may be Boko Haram errand men, who came to the market to buy foodstuffs and also spy for the insurgents” he said. “We’ve handed them over to the military for investigation.”

The Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati Wal-Jihad popularly known as Boko Haram, is an Hausa language meaning “Western education is sin”. The terrorist group has its strong hold in the northeastern part of the country, Cameroon and Niger. It has launched several deadly attacks and bombings which have claimed thousands of innocent lives in their quest to Islamise the country and put an end to what they described as westernisation.

It would be recalled that over 234 school girls were kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok Borno State by the Boko Haram sect on April 14. Their menace has attracted international communities like France, U.S, China, Israel, Britain among others, whom have volunteered to help the Nigerian Government in wiping them out as well as rescue the kidnapped Chibok girls.

According to Peter Pham, director of the Africa Center at the Atlantic Council, while testifying before a congressional committee recently said, the terrorist group has recently taken effective control of 10 local government areas in Borno State, forcing most residents to flee their homes.

Sources: Naij.com news, Vanguard

70 Boko Haram Insurgents Killed By Nigerian Troops In Borno Air Raid

The Nigerian army has killed no fewer than 70 suspected Boko Haram members, who participated in separate attacks on Chuha I, Chuha II and Korogilim villages of Chibok local governmnet area, Borno State over the weekend.

image

Boko Haram insurgents and Nigerian soldiers

They were killed on Sunday, in an air raid with support from ground troops of the 7 Division, Nigerian army as they were fleeing towards Sambisa forest after their attack on the three villages, Vanguard reports.

More than 40 people had been killed last weekend when suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked three villages in Chibok, razed down houses, shops and vehicles before carting away foodstuffs and livestock.

According to one of the residents of Korogilim, Mr. Joshua Yakubu, after the attacks, the terrorists were moving in a convoy on Sunday morning, attempting to flee into Sambisa after their deadly mission and that’s when they were attacked by military operatives.

He said when they started hearing the sounds of explosion on the outskirt of the villages, they were gripped with fear but later discovered the explosions were coming from troops who were attacking the fleeing insurgents.

Joshua said he was among the courageous ones who visited the scene of the bombardment yesterday and they saw many dead bodies of the insurgents littered everywhere.

“In fact, they were more than a hundred dead bodies. The food items they looted during the attacks were scattered all over the scene. People are trooping in to see things for themselves.

“I want to inform you that we are happy with the gallant effort displayed by the military for quick intervention which led to the killing of dozens of terrorists who wreaked havoc in our communities over the weekend as almost all of them were wiped out,” Joshua said.

The Director, Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade,confirmed the incident yesterday in a text message which said, “Yes, it happened.”

This is coming on the heels of yesterday’s tragic incident where a suicide bomber blew himself and seven others up at Kano School of Hygiene Technology along Gida Murtala-BUK road, leaving 20 persons life-threatening injuries.
Sources: Naij.com news, Vanguard

70 Boko Haram Insurgents Killed By Nigerian Troops In Borno Air Raid

The Nigerian army has killed no fewer than 70 suspected Boko Haram members, who participated in separate attacks on Chuha I, Chuha II and Korogilim villages of Chibok local governmnet area, Borno State over the weekend.

image

Boko Haram insurgents and Nigerian soldiers

They were killed on Sunday, in an air raid with support from ground troops of the 7 Division, Nigerian army as they were fleeing towards Sambisa forest after their attack on the three villages, Vanguard reports.

More than 40 people had been killed last weekend when suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked three villages in Chibok, razed down houses, shops and vehicles before carting away foodstuffs and livestock.

According to one of the residents of Korogilim, Mr. Joshua Yakubu, after the attacks, the terrorists were moving in a convoy on Sunday morning, attempting to flee into Sambisa after their deadly mission and that’s when they were attacked by military operatives.

He said when they started hearing the sounds of explosion on the outskirt of the villages, they were gripped with fear but later discovered the explosions were coming from troops who were attacking the fleeing insurgents.

Joshua said he was among the courageous ones who visited the scene of the bombardment yesterday and they saw many dead bodies of the insurgents littered everywhere.

“In fact, they were more than a hundred dead bodies. The food items they looted during the attacks were scattered all over the scene. People are trooping in to see things for themselves.

“I want to inform you that we are happy with the gallant effort displayed by the military for quick intervention which led to the killing of dozens of terrorists who wreaked havoc in our communities over the weekend as almost all of them were wiped out,” Joshua said.

The Director, Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade,confirmed the incident yesterday in a text message which said, “Yes, it happened.”

This is coming on the heels of yesterday’s tragic incident where a suicide bomber blew himself and seven others up at Kano School of Hygiene Technology along Gida Murtala-BUK road, leaving 20 persons life-threatening injuries.
Sources: Naij.com news, Vanguard

Boko Haram attacks Church: 12 worshippers, 6 militants killed in Borno

image

About 100 members of  Boko Haram around 9.30pm yesterday June 1st attacked the EYN Church (Church of Brethren, Nigeria) at Attagara village in Gwoza LGA of Borno state killing 12 of the worshipers in the church.
According to Sahara Reporters, a senior security official confirmed the incident saying the men armed with guns stormed the church and opened fire on the worshipers. The source said the community members quickly mobilized and engaged the sect men in a battle which led to the death of 6 of the Boko Haram men.

Boko Haram bombs bar & brothel joint in Adamawa state, 60 killed

image

According to a breaking news report by Sahara Reporters, Boko Haram men today June 1st bombed a bar and brothel located near a major military base in Mubi, Adamawa State, killing 60 people.

    Two security sources in the area told SaharaReporters that a horrendous explosion rocked the bar and brothel which usually teems with civilian and military patrons. The explosion happened close to 6 pm. Nigerian time, both sources said. One of our sources said none of the casualties was a soldier, but the other stated that it was too early to determine whether any of the dead were soldiers.

    The bombed facility is a short distance away from the headquarters of the Special Operations Battalion (SOB) of the Nigerian army in Mubi. The battalion is at the center of the Nigerian government’s counter-offensive against Boko Haram’s increasingly daring attacks on military and civilian targets.

    Soldiers based in Mubi frequently join civilians to eat, drink and dance at the watering hole, our sources said, adding that military commanders generally warned soldiers not to stay at the joint past 4 p.m